Thursday, September 4, 2014

homemade salsa


We've had an amazing crop of tomatoes this year.  Actually, it's our first crop of tomatoes ever.  Last year, we inherited a garden with our house, but everything was pummeled to pieces in a late season hail storm.  This year, we planted our first garden ever and have been enjoying it all summer.

I've had so many tomatoes that I needed to do something to preserve them all.  I've never canned a thing, but my mom used to, so I thought I'd give it a try.  After searching the Internet for tips, I discovered someone who said she froze her jars.  Since we have a deep freezer that has lots of spare room, I thought I'd give it a try.

To start, I gathered a ton of tomatoes, about 6 pounds.

My little helper and I added cilantro, garlic, onions and jalapeno peppers.

I almost forgot the limes.  Here is my ingredient list.

I chopped up everything in the food processor and added the juice of three limes and about 1/2 tablespoon salt.  

I filled my mason jars with about an inch to spare, let them sit overnight so that the flavors could meld and put them in the freezer the next morning.

There you have it!  Yummy homemade salsa to last us through the winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment