Tuesday, April 1, 2008

a day at the beach

It's spring break this week, so we headed to the beach with my friend Lisa and her girls. (I'm really not trying to make you jealous!) It was a beautiful day until Lisa's littlest girl got stung by a jellyfish. Actually she had multiple stings. All over. Poor thing. We learned that the treatment is vinegar and meat tenderizer. Not things you'd normally pack for the beach, but I think I may from now on!


Lisa's littlest (before she got stung) squishing her feet in the sand. So fun!


Brrr...yes, the water was still too chilly for A and me to get in!


Just me trying to get into more photos!







The finished sand castle. We worked really hard on this, despite its lack of beauty!

And now for the-rest-of-my-day story:
Lisa and her girls left early to go home, but we stuck around until mid-afternoon. I had left for the beach with only 1/4 tank of gas, knowing that I'd have to fill up before I drove home. So, I pull into the gas station only to realize that I didn't have my wallet. Or any money. Anywhere! So, I start driving home, and tell the girls to begin praying because it's going to take a miracle to get us home on 1/8 tank of gas. I start to panic a bit, and call David at work, who asks, "Has the light come on yet?" Just then the light came on. He informs me that I now have about 15 miles left in the tank. Just then, I pass a sign that tells me I have 17 miles to my exit. Ugh! I start driving very evenly and at 60 MPH (optimum gas mileage at this rate, apparently.) Everyone is passing me, of course. The girls, who had been very quiet so far begin fighting and screaming, so I'm looking into the mirror, telling them to be kind, etc, and MISS my exit! Ahhh... I take the next exit, and realize that I've never taken that exit before from that direction and suddenly feel lost and unsure of which way to turn. I somehow make my way back onto the Tollway, and pull off into the gas station on the corner with just enough gas left. Whew! DH met me there and bought my full tank of gas. What a hero! He saved my day.

21 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad you were able to get some gas...Wonderful photos btw!
    cari

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful shots! My favorite one is the one b/w on the bridge! And so happy you got a full tank of gas, that must have been nerve-wracking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those beach shots are terrific. I kept thinking I'd found my favorite and then kept scrolling to find more and more that were great. I do like the one with the yellow pail. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, i love your pics of the day but your story really drew me in. i was holding my breath for you! :) so glad you made it-can't tell you the number of times i've coasted into the station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What FUN shots! I am jealous.. the beach is my most favoritest place in the whole wide world to be! :)

    OUCH- jellyfish?! I got stung by a jellyfish once when I was younger and my grandpa had to pee on me to stop the stinging. No joke. I'm glad your neice's treatment was a little less "icky". :p

    And what a hero your dh is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh I hope she is feeling okay tonight. I love the shot of her on the bridge both in color and b/w. Yay for dh coming to your rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs! Too bad the little girl got stung. Hope she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a day you had. A jellyfish sting, almost running out of gas...Wow! But you did get some beautiful shots of the beach, and made me soooo want to be there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute pictures. I love them all and wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what beautiful pics!!!! love her burying herself in the sand!!

    so wish i was at the beach!!!:)

    did you get my email yesterday??? :)

    leah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... glad you made it home! I wish we had been able to stay longer. It really was a great day for the beach, aside from the Portuguese Man o' War all over the place.

    Micah got up this morning saying, "I'm cured! It doesn't hurt anymore!" My stings are no longer bothering me, either. I'm glad we didn't follow all the "pee on her" advice we were given on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW what a full day. The each shots are great! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phew...I was feeling anxious reading your story. :-) Glad it turned out okay. Love the photos--the buried in sand one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really great! I love the one of you and your daughter...I need to get in more pictures too!! Love the conversions as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yay for you dh! saved the day!!!!!
    gorgeous shots i just love them, you are getting so good! i love the one of your daughter buried a little in the sand--
    and i love seeing you in photos!
    way to go>
    sorry about your friends dd>
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have done stuff like that before. I always get so upset at myself too. Finally, I put an emergency cash fund in the car (my husband does know about it, other wise an "emergency" for him would be picking up some soda or a candy bar). I just am so forgetful.

    I love your photos of the beach, especially the one of your DD buried in the sand. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great shots. I adore the one of your daughter running down the path - what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh these pictures are so beautiful. Good for you for getting in one, you are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoaa!! Scary gas situation! I really like the b&w photo on the bridge; it's beautiful. I think you need to go back and take one more photo! (the gas station or the sign that says 17 more miles, or your gas gauge on E -(maybe just photo edit in the E!!!!), and scrapbook the whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun photos! Vinegar and meat tenderizer sound a lot better than the treatment I read about. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miss you! Had to get a Kristina fix by being a blog voyeur. :) LOVE the pix of A amidst the green trees, walking on the walkway. Wow, the colors pop!

    ReplyDelete